The Canon EOS-1D X Digital SLR Camera is designed with the pro shooter in mind, as evidenced by its tough magnesium alloy body, large 3.2" LCD, the Intelligent Viewfinder, and of course the 18.1Mp CMOS sensor, among other professional features. If you're looking for a tough rig that knows what a photographer wants and needs, then Canon answers the call with this impressive offering.
The EOS-1D X was built to stand up to the grind of daily shooting. In addition to its large pixel size - for outstanding still images and 1920 x 1080 video - the camera provides the serious photographer with a generous ergonomic design, along with smart layout of the controls. Dual CF card slots ensure that every shot can be captured, while the Gigabit Ethernet terminal and the WFT-E6A Wireless File Transmitter and the GPS connection provide quick connectivity for file sharing on the fly. What's more, the magnesium alloy body is dust and weather resistant, and features shutter durability of up to 14 fps for up to 400,000 cycles - allowing you to do your job without hesitation, or worry.
The EOS-1D X's 18.1Mp CMOS sensor is a full 24 x 36mm frame sensor, capturing 5184 x 3456 images. That translates into high-quality, JPEG and RAW images, to impress even the most demanding shooters. The camera also provides 14-bit processing and a standard ISO range of 100-51200, with expanded sensitivities of 50 to 102400 and 204800. All of this is made possible by the camera's Dual DIGIC 5+ Image Processors, which enable a 17x faster processing speeds and greater noise reduction, among other duties.
When it comes to auto focus, the 61-Point High Density Reticular AF ensures fast, accurate image capture thanks to its Offset Array Sensor. With a multitude of ways in which to enable AF you can quickly access your desired point selection for your exact situation. Another tool for dead-on images is the EOS iSA (Intelligent Subject Analysis System). This sensor has 252 zones general metering and 35 zones for low-light metering. By incorporating face and color recognition data the system is stable even under rapidly changing lighting conditions. In addition, the E-TTL flash metering benefits from these improvements as well.
Like most all pro DSLRs these days, the EOS-1D X provides you with 1920 x 1080 HD video capture. The camera offers both ALL-I and IPB compression, supports H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile, and automatically splits files greater than 4GB for extended recording up to 29:59 minutes without interruption. The camera also offers up Live View, a 64-step volume control, a sound recording level meter, and a Quick Control Dial which allows for silent adjustments - using the dial's touch pad - during shooting.
- 18.1Mp Full-Frame CMOS Sensor
- The EOS-1D X features a newly developed Canon full-frame 18.1 megapixel CMOS sensor that's designed from the ground up to create high resolution, perfectly detailed images with unprecedented speed and clarity. A full 24 x 36mm, the sensor captures 5184 x 3456 large individual 6.95 µm pixels and has a much-improved S/N ratio resulting in better images from the start. A new photodiode structure with an increased photoelectric conversion rate increases the sensor's sensitivity by approximately 2 stops over previous models, meaning higher ISOs with the lowest noise of any EOS digital camera. And a 2-line 16-channel simultaneous signal readout means speeds of up to 12 fps (RAW + JPEG) and even 14 fps (Super High Speed Mode) are possible!
- 14-bit A/D Conversion, Wide Range ISO Setting 100-51200
- The EOS-1D X not only offers 14-bit signal processing for excellent image gradation, it delivers higher standard and expanded ISOs, and a score of new options to enhance shooting in varied and fast-changing lighting situations. With a standard range of ISO 100-51200, the EOS-1D X represents a 2-stop increase in sensitivity over previous cameras. Thanks to the improved signal-to-noise ratio of the new sensor and powerful noise reduction, the EOS-1D X can shoot at expanded sensitivities down to ISO 50 (L) and up to 102400 (H1), and even 204800 (H2)! Beyond the obvious advantages of its wide ISO range, the EOS-1D X has automatic ISO settings, found on the dedicated ISO menu. Minimum and maximum ISO settings can be specified, as can a user-defined range, plus full auto and manual
- Dual DIGIC 5+ Image Processors for Enhanced Noise Reduction and Blazing Processing Speed
- For a whole new level of performance, the EOS-1D X uses Dual DIGIC 5+ Image Processors that include four 4-channel A/D converter front-end processing circuits and deliver speeds of up to 12 fps (RAW + JPEG) and 14 fps (JPEG). Compared with the predecessor, Canon's DIGIC 4 Image Processor, the Dual DIGIC 5+ Image Processor offers approximately 17x faster processing speed, and feature new algorithms that promote greater noise reduction at higher ISOs. In addition to conventional image processing functions the Dual DIGIC 5+ Image Processors offer real-time compensation for Chromatic Aberration in both still and motion images. With the power of these two processors, speed improvements are noticeable from the instant the camera is turned on and the stunning results speak for themselves
- 61-Point High Density Reticular AF
- The newly designed 61-Point High Density Reticular AF features an Offset Array Sensor (with staggered AF point arrangement) to deliver greater accuracy, no matter the situation. It offers multi-zone wide-area AF for better tracking, has 5 central dual cross-type points (f/2.8 diagonal), 21 central cross-type points (f/5.6 horizontal and vertical) and 20 outer cross-type points (f/4.0 horizontal), and is sensitive in extremely low-light situations (EV-2 for a central point with a f/2.8 lens).
The EOS-1D X has a dedicated AF menu tab, so AF can be controlled without having to go through custom function menus. It also has 6 AF point selection methods (Spot, Single Point, Single + Adjacent 4 Points, Single + Adjacent 8 Points, Zone Selection, and Automatic AF Point Selection), plus a dedicated AF configuration tool for control of AI Servo AF III tracking parameters (tracking sensitivity, acceleration/deceleration tracking, and AF point auto switching).
The EOS-1D X uses the 100,000-pixel RGB Metering Sensor to aid the AF system in Automatic Point Selection. This dramatically increases the tracking performance for subjects that were previously unpredictable to follow, such as fast-moving or flying subjects. EOS iTR (Intelligent Tracking and Recognition) AF recognizes the subject based on face and color detection from the AE system, and tracks it using AF points. The EOS iSA (Intelligent Subject Analysis) System incorporates color recognition and Face Detection for proper exposure. Specific parameters can be adjusted and refined and saved in the AF menu for later use
- Updated AI Servo AF & Cross-Type AF Support at f/8.0
- By popular demand, Canon is offering Firmware Update Ver. 1.1.1, which enhances the 61-Point High Density Reticular AF System of the EOS-1D X DSLR camera. Included in the free downloadable firmware update, available on Canon's website, is AF Point Illumination when using AI Servo AF mode, as well as the addition of Cross-Type AF support down to f/8.0 lens aperture. When AI Servo AF Mode is selected there will be red AF point illumination markers for easy viewing of the selected focus point - ideal for photographers shooting in low-light and when photographing dark subjects. Cross-Type AF Support down to f/8.0 means when the maximum aperture is as narrow as f/8.0, the firmware update will allow cross-type AF to be usable - which is great for use with Canon EF super-telephoto lenses with extenders, greatly expanding the range of lens and extender combinations that support autofocus with the EOS-1D X.
- EOS iSA Powered by Canon DIGIC 4 Image Processor
- The EOS-1D X features a brand new 100,000-pixel RGB Metering Sensor with a dedicated DIGIC 4 Image Processor that delivers substantial improvements in evaluative ambient and flash metering. The sensor has 252 distinct zones for general metering, with 35 zones used for low-light metering. The meter's DIGIC 4 Image Processor uses EOS iSA (Intelligent Subject Analysis System) that incorporates face and color recognition data for more stable performance under rapidly changing lighting situations. The E-TTL Flash metering gains the same improvements. These improvements ensure accurate automatic exposure in a greatly increased group of shooting situations, offering a level of performance that will impress even the seasoned pro
- EOS HD Video Recording
- Addressing the requests of the pros, the EOS-1D X captures HD video with an unprecedented level of sophistication for a digital SLR. It offers both All-I and IPB compression, supports H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile, and automatically splits files greater than 4GB (FAT specifications) for extended recording up to 29:59 minutes without interruption. It offers the option of timecoding only during recording (Rec Run) or at all times (Free Run) - useful for multi-camera shoots. The EOS-1D X offers easy operation with the new Live View shooting/Movie shooting button. Menu options can still be set even when the Live View image is displayed. A dedicated menu tab for video capture allows functions to be changed quickly on the fly. Improved sound recording adjustment capabilities offer 64-step volume control; and a sound recording level meter that is accessible through the Quick Control screen during video shooting. With the Silent Control function, adjustments can be made quietly with a touch pad located on the inner portion of the Quick Control Dial. The built-in wind filter helps suppress unwanted wind noise that can distort or muffle sound. The CMOS sensor's new drive system significantly increases image processor performance, reducing color artifacts and moiré
- High-Speed Continuous Shooting
- The EOS-1D X combines fast 16-channel data readout from its 18.1 megapixel CMOS sensor and the supercharged processing capabilities of its Dual DIGIC 5+ Image Processors with a speedier shutter and mirror system to raise the performance bar for all digital cameras, capturing full-frame images and recording them fast to UDMA cards stored in the cameras Dual Card Slots. Ideal for fixed focus situations, the EOS-1D X's can shoot up to 12 fps (RAW + JPEG). In Super High Speed Mode, high-speed shooting up to 14 fps (JPEG) is possible.
Thanks to a more resilient design, shutter lag with the EOS-1D X is reduced to 55ms (down even further to 36ms via custom function). A redesigned mirror system, featuring a Quad Active Mirror Stopper, uses more effective material to absorb impact when moving up and down not only aids in speedy shot-to-shot times, but the reduced mirror vibration provides more stable shots at all times
- Magnesium Alloy Body with Shutter Durability and Dust and Weather-Resistance
- For professionals who demand nothing less than the best, the EOS-1D X is designed to perform superbly, even in the most treacherous environments, every time. The body is constructed of rigid, high-strength magnesium alloy for rugged performance and features a new grip design for easier finger placement and reduced hand fatigue. Its newly redesigned shutter has lightweight and carbon-fiber blades, and is rated to maintain up to 14 fps performance without compromise, for up to 400,000 cycles. The EOS-1D X and accessories like the new Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E6A and GPS Receiver GP-E1 have extensive gasketing for improved dust and water resistance, even at their connection points
- Ultrasonic Wave Motion Cleaning (UWMC)
- The EOS-1D X's integrated cleaning dust removal cleaning uses a carrier wave type self-cleaning sensor unit. While previous dust removal systems removed dust adhered to the surface of the infrared absorbing/ultraviolet-blocking glass in a frontward direction by vibrating the glass with ultrasound, the new system effectively rolls rather than shakes the dust particles off, removing an even greater amount of dust, especially smaller particles. As with previous cameras, the IR/UV absorbing glass in front of the EOS-1D X's sensor is treated with an anti-dust fluorine coating making it easier to remove damp or sticky dust particles. As part of Canon's Integrated Cleaning System dust missed by the camera can be identified and removed using the Dust Delete Data feature of Canon's Digital Professional Pro software, bundled with every EOS digital SLR
- Intelligent Viewfinder with Superimposed LCD
- The EOS-1D X's Intelligent Viewfinder offers a sharp, bright approximately 100% field of view with an approximate magnification of .76x, a viewing angle of 35° and a 20mm eye-point. With a new construction featuring aspherical lens elements, the viewfinder displays less distortions and color aberrations than previous models. It uses a transparent LCD to superimpose a customizable combination of focus points and gridlines directly over the image. The AF status indicator can even be directed to display within or outside of the viewfinders image area. With the intelligent viewfinder, unlike with other cameras, the photographer has the choice of seeing shooting information or looking only at the scene in front of the camera. The ability to effectively erase all shooting data and turn it back on with the touch of a button gives the photographer the opportunity to concentrate simply on looking and composing the photograph without distraction, a great advantage in numerous shooting situations
- 3.2" TFT LCD Monitor
- The EOS-1D X's 3.2" TFT LCD monitor has 1,040,000 dots, anti-reflective construction and features Canon's Clear View II technology for bright, sharp display in any number of shooting situations. It's ideal for reviewing settings and images, as well as for shooting in Live View mode. In Live View, grid lines can be displayed in 9 sections, 24 sections, or 9 sections with diagonals, as can the dual-axis electronic level, which helps ensure accurate level by displaying both roll and pitch in 1-degree increments. For image review, the EOS-1D X has a new, dedicated Magnify/Reduce button. While pressing the button, zooming in or out (up to 10x) is achieved simply by turning the Main Dial. Images can be protected or erased quickly, individually or in batches, and slideshows can be created with some or all images and can be sequenced by date, folders, movies, stills or rating. A feature guide can be accessed for the selected menu, providing detailed reference information whenever needed
- Improved Handling with Addition of New Customizable Controls
- Reconceived based on the experience and feedback of professional users, the EOS-1D X's new ergonomic design is more comfortable and intuitive than ever. With a refined and intelligent layout of all control buttons and dials, shooting settings can be made with just the right hand, and quick image check and image processing operations with just the left. New, assignable and tactile function buttons located on the front of the camera enable fast access to features the photographer uses frequently. The vertical grip has been redesigned for comfort and familiarity, and combined with a vertical position Multi-Controller, Mfn2 and Depth-of-Field preview buttons provides every option found with horizontal for uninterrupted, intuitive shooting no matter the camera's orientation.
During shooting, the EOS-1D X's dedicated Quick Control button enables speedy changes of nearly every shooting parameter with the touch of a button. During playback, pressing the Quick Control button enables the photographer to protect images, rotate, rate, resize, view highlight alert, AF point and much more. Plus, with the EOS-1D X's new Multi Function Lock, the Main Dial, Quick Control Dial and Multi-Controller can all be locked, individually or together.
The EOS-1D X's Graphic User Interface shows improvements as well. The menu structure has been redesigned so that frequently used functions previously buried in the menu hierarchy are brought to the front. Operations previously assigned to buttons, controls, menus and custom functions have been consolidated for quick access in the menu, ensuring the photographer can concentrate on composing and shooting images
- Enhanced Recording Options with Dual Card Slots, Gigabit-Ethernet Terminal
- To complement the high-speed drive and record the maximum number of shots as quickly as possible, the EOS-1D X records solely to industry speed-leading CompactFlash cards and features Dual Card Slots. Supporting UDMA mode 7, with a maximum data transfer rate of 167 MB/s as well as exFAT maximum file sizes, the EOS-1D X can use Type I and Type II CF recording media. Three recording settings are available: Auto switch, wherein the camera automatically switches from one card to another when the first is filled, Record Separately where the same image is recorded to each card, but in different size or file type, or Record to Multiple, where the same image is saved to both cards in the same size (or sizes), providing an instant backup for added security. Additionally, images can easily be transferred from one CF card to the other. Wired image transfer is also speedier than ever thanks to the EOS-1D X's built-in Gigabit Ethernet terminal (1000BASE-TX)
- Optional Canon Wireless File Transmitter and GPS
- The EOS-1D X is compatible with the new WFT-E6A Wireless File Transmitter for wireless LAN and Bluetooth transfer with the IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n standards, performing up to 2.5x faster than previous models. A new image resend feature ensures that all images get transferred, even if a signal drop interrupts transmission. The small and lightweight WFT-E6A is discrete, does not interfere with other camera operations, and maintains the EOS-1D X's high level of dust and drip resistance.
The GPS Receiver GP-E1 attaches to the EOS-1D X, offering the same dust and water-resistant protection as the camera body itself, features its own power supply and is always ready to append location data to images. It records latitude, longitude, elevation and has a GPS Time Sync Function that synchronizes the camera clock with a satellite and features an electronic compass that records the camera's orientation when shooting
- Ultra-Fast Shutter Lagtime - Only 36ms
- Thanks to a non-contact charge and more resilient design, shutter lag with the EOS-1D X is reduced to 55ms (down even further to 36ms via custom function). A redesigned mirror that uses more effective material to absorb impact when moving up and down not only aids in speedy shot-to-shot times, but the reduced mirror vibration provides more stable shots at all times
- Built-In Chromatic Aberraton Correction and In-Camera RAW Processing
- Chromatic aberration in Canon lenses can be corrected at the time of shooting with the EOS-1D X's Lens Aberration Correction feature and can be saved and registered to the particular lens. The EOS-1D X can even distinguish between different lenses of the same model by supporting registration of serial numbers specific to each lens.
Post processing, in-camera, is both quick and easy with the EOS-1D X. It offers in-camera RAW processing with image correction like white balance, brightness, picture style and more, as well as image resizing with JPEG images. Additionally, the EOS-1D X features Expanded Quick Control functions during playback like Image protect, image rotate, rating, resize, highlight alert, AF point and image jump, meaning a streamlined workflow can begin in the field
- System Status Display Function Provides Critical Information
- For optimal camera maintenance, The EOS-1D X's new System Status Display Function offers pertinent information about the camera's use and condition. In addition to displaying the camera's serial number and firmware version, the System Status Monitor also displays the total number of shutter release cycles (in thousands), a camera error log, which lists errors that may warrant service
- Multiple Exposure Shooting
- The EOS-1D X offers a number of multiple exposure options for creative photography, in-camera. It can take from two to nine exposures to create one multiple exposure image, with four distinct settings for exposure control: Additive (where, like with a traditional film-based multiple exposures) the total exposure amount adds up as the exposures are taken (thereby requiring manual exposure compensation for each frame); Average, where the exposure is controlled automatically; (Comparative) Bright, a setting suited for uniformly dark scenes with distinct bright subjects; and (Comparative) Dark, which is suitable for eliminating bright sections or reflections. Images can be checked on the LCD during shooting. An existing image can be chosen for the first exposure and the EOS-1D X offers a number of other settings for highly controlled multiple exposure photography of the highest caliber
- Recording File Sizes
- (1) Large: Approx. 17.9 Megapixels (5184 x 3456)
(2) M1: Approx. 14.20 Megapixels (4608 x 3072)
(3) M2: Approx. 8.00 Megapixels (3456 x 2304)
(4) Small: Approx. 4.5 Megapixels (2592 x 1728)
(5) RAW: Approx. 17.90 Megapixels (5184 x 3456)
(6) M-RAW: Approx. 10.10 Megapixels (3888 x 2592)
(7) S-RAW: Approx. 4.50 Megapixels (2592 x 1728)
Exact file sizes depend on the subject, ISO speed, Picture Style, etc.
- AF Point Selection
- AF Point Selection
1. Single-point AF (Manual selection)
2. Auto selection 61-point AF
3. Single-point Spot AF (Manual selection)
4. AF point expansion (Manual selection, 4 points: up, down, left, and right)
5. AF point expansion (Manual selection, surrounding 8 points)
6. Zone AF (Manual zone selection)
- External Speedlite
EOS Dedicated Speedlite: E-TTL II autoflash with all EX Series Speedlites
Zooming to Match Focal Length: Provided
Flash Metering: E-TTL II autoflash
Flash Exposure Compensation: +/-3 stops in 1/3 or 1/2 stop increments
FE Lock: Provided
External Flash Settings: 1. External Flash Control Flash mode, sync setting, FEB (not with 270EX II / 270EX), flash exposure compensation, E-TTL II, zoom, wireless master flash, (not with 430EX II / 270EX), and clear settings. 2. Flash Custom Function Setting
PC Terminal: Provided; accepts third-party flash units with sync line voltages up to 250V maximum
- Live View Functions
Shooting Modes: Still photo and video recording
Quick mode (61- Point Phase-difference detection AF)
Live mode/Face detection Live mode (One-Point Contrast detection AF, switching to another point possible)
Face detection Live mode (Contrast AF, Face Selectable)
Manual focusing (5x/10x magnification possible)
Metering Modes: Real-time evaluative metering with the image sensor
Metering Range: Real-time evaluative with image sensor
Metering range: EV 0 - EV 20 (At 73°F/23°C, 50mm f/1.4 lens, ISO 100)
AE lock possible
The active metering time can be changed
Grid Display: Three grid display provided
Exposure Simulation: Possible
Silent Shooting: Provided
- Video Shooting
File Size: 1920 x 1080 (Full HD), 1280 x 720, 640 x 480
Frame Rates: [1920 x 1080]: 30 fps / 25 fps / 24 fps
[1280 x 720]: 60 fps / 50 fps
[640 x 480]: 30 fps / 25 fps
Continuous Shooting Time: Recording times based on 8GB memory card
[1920 x 1080]
30 fps: ALL-I (TBA) / IPB (TBA)
25 fps ALL-I (TBA) / IPB (TBA)
24 fps ALLI-I (TBA) / IPB (TBA)
[1280 x 720]
60 fps: ALL-I (TBA) / IPB (TBA)
50 fps ALL-I (TBA) / IPB (TBA)
[640 x 480]
30 fps: IPB (TBA)
25 fps: IPB (TBA)
Focusing: Same as Live View Shooting
Exposure Control: Program AE, Manual exposure
Exposure Compensation: +/-3 stops in 1/3 or 1/2 stop increments
- 25 Interface Languages
- English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Romanian, Ukraine, Turkish, Arabic, Thai, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Korean, Japanese